Home Page

School SEN information report- updated June 2020

How will I know if my child has SEND?

As parents you may have already passed on your concerns to others who can help i.e. health visitor, G.P, teacher or SENDCo (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Coordinator).  Pre-school, playgroup or childminding staff may have informed you that they had noticed some things that were particularly challenging for your child. Routine screening, such as vision and hearing tests can provide important information also.


Who should I speak to if I have concerns that my child has SEND?

Please speak to your child’s class teacher in the first instance.


Mrs Bowley (Headteacher) is the SENDCo; she can be contacted via the school office.


How does the school know if my child needs extra help?

Teachers continuously monitor the progress and attainment of every pupil in their class. When a pupil does not make adequate progress this is identified and provision is put in place within the classroom setting to try and address this. A discussion will take place between the class teacher and the SENDCo at this point. If a child continues to fail to make adequate progress then they are identified as having a special educational need. Special educational provision is defined as any education provision which is additional to or different from that generally made for others of the same age in mainstream schools. Further observations, assessments and discussions with other professionals involved will inform the schools decisions.


How will the school share information with me?

Parents are kept informed at all stages in the process of identification and assessment of needs. They are invited to meet the class teacher and the SENDCo and participate in discussions of support planned. Further referrals may be made with your permission eg. speech and language therapy, educational psychologist. All referrals and specialist reports are shared with parents.


How will I be involved in supporting my child?

Through regular planning and review meetings you will receive advice on how to support learning at home. School can also refer to parental support and signpost to the parent partnership for children with SEND. We encourage parents to communicate regularly with the class teacher, this may be about successes at home or any areas of concern. A home/school contact book may be provided.


What support is available for my child?

Typically your child will have regular reviews of progress where next steps will be identified. Teachers will adapt curriculum planning so that your child can access learning to ensure progress. Your child will access additional adult support, either within the classroom, or in small group withdrawal sessions. At St Leonard's we follow a number of evidence based intervention programmes designed to address the identified needs for your child. These include Sounds Write, Sensory Circuits, Drawing and Talking Therapy, Talkboost, Socially Speaking, Numicon and Project X.  Please see the school provision map below.


Do all children on the SEND register get the same level of support?

No, we follow guidance from Central Bedfordshire which gives a graduated response to provision for children who have SEND. Children will be identified on stage one or stage two. They may require an Education, Health and Care plan assessment if they have needs that cannot be met at stage two. The Central Bedfordshire guidance sets out the level of need and support at each stage.


Please click here to find out more


How will I know how well my child is doing?

The class teachers and the headteacher monitor each child’s progress half termly, and we will communicate progress made in discussions with parents/carers. The class teacher will record targets as agreed with parents on an Individual Education Plan ( IEP) or on an SEND Support Plan. Each term the SENDCo and class teacher meets with parents to review the child’s progress against these targets.


Do any staff have training in SEND?

All teachers and teaching assistants have received a range of training including that on Autistic Spectrum Disorders, Sensory Awareness,Talkboost, Sounds-Write phonics, challenging behaviours and supporting children in different areas of the curriculum. We have a trained Emotional and Well-Being coordinator in school. Our Headteacher has a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (National Award for SENCO’s). She attends network meetings termly with SENDCo's from the local learning community. As an experienced SENDCo and a Central Bedfordshire Leader in Education she is also trained to audit SEND provision in other schools to secure good and outstanding practice (aptGO).


Is the school accessible to children with SEND?

The school accessibility plan shows how we have or how we are looking to: 

  • increase the extent to which disabled pupils can participate in the school’s curriculum
  • improve the physical environment of the school for the purpose of increasing the extent to which disabled pupils are able to take advantage of education and benefits, facilities and services provided or offered by the school
  • improve the delivery to disabled pupils of information which is readily accessible to pupils who are not disabled

Please see the disability, equality and accessibility plan at the bottom of this page.


Are there any special admission arrangements for children with SEND?

There are no special admission arrangements for limiting or promoting access for pupils with SEND. Please see admission policy.


Will my SEN child be included in all visits and activities?

Pupils with SEND are encouraged to participate in all school activities and after school clubs. School visits are accompanied by a high ratio of adults to children. Parents/Carers may occasionally be asked to support staff on school visits. SEND children have opportunities to join in with sports festivals.


What if my SEN child moves schools?

Transition arrangements are in place for children with SEND. When starting school our 4+ teacher and our SENDco make contact with the pre school setting and a transition meeting is scheduled where parents/carers, pre school staff and any other professionals involved are invited to discuss any concerns. Pupils will be given additional visit sessions prior to their school start date if necessary.

In year 4 transfer to middle school options are explained to parents and the class teacher and SENDco are happy to advise on the child’s learning needs so that parents can make an informed decision. The middle schools offer additional visits for SEND children during the Summer term in year 4. Teaching assistants from St. Leonard’s often attend these sessions. Photographs may be taken and scrapbooks made to ease any anxieties and fears.

The SENDco meets with the middle school SENDco to pass on information and records relating to the child.


What happens if my child has a medical condition?

All staff are first aid trained. Staff also have specific training in Asthma and Epipen. Medical needs are shared with all staff and displayed in the staffroom. A care plan may be put in place with the input of medical professionals or the school nurse. Please refer to the school policy on Managing Medicines and First Aid.


What specialist services are accessed by the school?

School can refer for additional support from a number of services including: Advisory teacher for children with Autistic Sprectrum Disorders, Speech and Language therapy, Occupational therapy, Educational Psychologist, Jigsaw Behaviour Support team, Inclusion Officer, Education Welfare Officer, Parent Support Advisers, Social Workers, Early Years Support team, Physical Impairment team, CHUMS- child bereavement, trauma and emotional well-being, CAMHS- Child and adolescence mental health, School Nurse and Edwin Lobo Child development Centre (Consultant Paediatricians).


How are the Governors involved in SEND provision?

The SENDCo reports to the Governors termly. The SEND governor meets with the SENDCo termly and through monitoring visits evaluates provision throughout the school. The SEND Governor is Caroline Versallion.


What do I do if I have a complaint about the support the school provides for my child?

Parents/carers are partners with the school and are welcome to query decisions made by the school through the normal procedures described on the school complaints policy. If parents do not agree with the school and the Local Authority they have the right of appeal to the authority’s SEND tribunal.

For further information please follow the link for Central Bedfordshire’s local offer below.