Home Page

School History

In 1846 the Heath National School was built on Birds Hill to provide an education 'according to the principles and practices of the Church of England' and to serve the two communities of Heath and Reach. The building was extended in 1963 and a house was added for the schoolmaster.

In 1876 the infant and junior departments were amalgamated, there were 84 children in the infants and 100 children in the junior department. It became a lower school in 1978 and in 1992 a replacement school was built in Thrift Road and the school was renamed St Leonard's, Heath & Reach, VA Lower School.

It is situated on a three acre site that includes mature woodland. The school has four classrooms including an extended unit for the youngest children.

We are an eco-friendly school and in 2009 we became one of the first schools in Bedfordshire to install solar panels and generate our own electricity.

As a small village school we are able to offer a happy, relaxed family atmosphere whilst maintaining high standards in teaching and learning. Links with the community are important to us and we participate in village events and welcome visitors to the school.